On Thursday, Oct. 6th, several 4-H members brought an important message to our Hugoton Intermediate School students: "You do not have to live on a farm or own a farm animal to be in 4H." The Hugoton middle and high school 4-H students brought presentations that filled up the intermediate commons area and allowed students to rotate through in order to learn about over a dozen projects that they could experience if they joined 4-H. The projects included: textiles, shooting sports, rabbits, woodworking, ceramics, foods, robotics, rocketry, poultry, photography, and reading. Students were introduced to 4-H members goats, calves, and pigs, as well. The presentations generated much interest by the students and many expressed that they would like to join 4-H. Parents, if you have questions about
4-H, please contact Judy Parsons at the Extension Office. If you need a little more motivation to pursue this opportunity for your children, check out the top 10 reasons to join 4-H found below. (To view more photos from our morning with the 4H members and their projects, please go to the Hugoton Intermediate School Facebook page.).
TOP 10 REASONS TO JOIN 4-H:
10. 4-H opens doors to new experiences.
9. 4-H is not just for youth. While membership is for youth ages 5-18, the entire family is encouraged to be involved.
8. 4-H provides a great way for children to explore different careers.
7. 4-H believes in learning by doing.
6. 4-H is a safe place to fail—and succeed.
5. 4-H teaches practical skills.
4. 4-H teaches kids to be self-reliant.
3. 4-H members practice giving back to their communities.
2. 4-H members make life-long friends.
1. 4-H prepares youth for life by teaching the skills needed in adulthood.
(Taken from the High Plains Journal, Oct. 3, 2020. https://www.hpj.com/4h/top-10-reasons-to-join-4-h/article_cdaad098-04ff-11eb-bc12-ffde59057af1.html)